Monday, July 2, 2012

Our Get-Away

I am barely breathing in hopes to keep the apartment quiet enough for her to sleep one more hour.  Just one more.  Long enough for me to clear my head and drink one cup of coffee.  Is that too much to ask?  It wasn't that rough of a night, but she did wake once, at 2 a.m.  I got her back to sleep pretty easily.

Totally didn't work, she woke up and now this post is being finished at nap time.

It's a Monday, and a Monday following a traveling weekend.  Those are the worst kind!  We got home yesterday evening at about 5:00 to find that a bad storm came through and knocked out the power.  It wasn't until about 8:00 that it came back on.  Not a good thing to come home to... we were waiting to see if we would have to hotel it one more night, or brave the heat with no air.  If it were just us, we wouldn't mind. But not with KG.

We had a wonderful time on our mini-getaway.  I didn't have as hard of a time leaving KG as I thought I would, but I guess that was because she wasn't sad to see us go--at all.    Cakokia Mounds was all that I remembered it to be, although smaller.  But having been 11ish the last time that I was there, it's no wonder that my memory portrayed everything to be bigger.  Richie really enjoyed it too, which is what I wanted more than anything.  I didn't want him to be disappointment in my location choice.  Despite the 102 degree temperature, we climbed Monks Mound.  Boy am I ever out of shape!  It was only the equivalent of ten stories, but it was a steep climb!

We stayed on site for a few hours before heading over to the hotel to check-in.  The hotel was beautiful and I was very happy with my choice.  Despite some confusion at check-in, it was a great experience.

We went to the hotel bar to have a cocktail and do some people watching--you know how fun that can be!  Our dinner was amazing.  Four stars!  The steaks were so perfect too.  Zero complaints about the restaurant choice.  And it was fun to be on a "date" with my husband.   After dinner, we went to Wal-Mart (I know, the romantics that we are) to get Kage a few presents.  Anytime we have a date night or leave her for any amount of time, we bring her a little something back.  We've just always done that.  So we got her more paint for her art easel and a pool noodle.  Talk about some interesting people watching in there!

The next day, we couldn't stop talking about our Kinley and all of her little antics.  We both were missing her pretty bad.  So it wasn't a big deal to get up and head back to get her.  When we got back to my mom's, she wanted nothing to do with us!  On one hand, we were thrilled that she enjoyed her time but on the other, we wanted her to miss us too!  She cried for Nonie and Papa for the first hour of our ride home.

We sure don't do date getaways often enough.  Mainly due to the cost of it, but really, we set a budget and stuck to it!  It was a trip that we'll both remember and cherish for years to come!





No comments:

 
Template: Blog Designs by Sheila