Monday, September 12, 2011

No good deed goes unnoticed

Last night we went to do our weekly grocery shopping.  Usually, I stay home to do school work and R and Kage go together.  But I feel rather good about being caught up and decided to join them.  Our day was going so well that I didn't want to be without them.

We always have so much fun grocery shopping too...I know, we're nerds.

It was a gorgeous evening: warm- but not hot, big, full moon was out and lighting the world so beautifully.

He was loading our groceries into the back of the SUV and I was close by dancing with Kage in my arms.  Well, not dancing, but bouncing her around in my arms.  She was laughing so loud and it was precious.  Let's face it, parents will look like straight up fools to make their child laugh.  Right?  I was that fool.

Out of the corner of my eye, I noticed a guy (probably in his early 20s) approaching me.  He was holding a gas can and raised it up as he asked me if I could spare a couple of bucks for gas.  I told him that I didn't have any cash but that my husband could probably help him out.  R was returning the cart to the corral when I told him that this guy needed some help. 

He gave the story that his car was out of gas down the road and he just needed a few bucks to get some gas to get him home to a town about 15 miles away.  R handed him six bucks and we wished him well.  He was so thankful.

I had the biggest smile on my face.  It fills my soul to help someone out.  And then, I was saying that we did our 9/11 good deed. 

We had to get gas for my car for the week, so we headed straight over to the gas station that our little friend walked to.  I couldn't help but look to see that he was getting gas for his gas can.  He walked straight into the bathroom in the gas station.

Hmmmm, well, his car did run out of gas.  He probably did have to go.  (yes, I really did dissect this that much)

He walked out of the bathroom and I see him walking toward my husband (who is outside pumping gas).  They speak, he walks away, my husband gets into the car.

"What was that about?"

"He asked me for money for gas."

"Whaaaaaa?"

My husband then used a colorful word as an adjective to describe the guy.

He must have forgotten to take a mental picture of the man that gave him money just five minutes before, because he walked up to my husband again with the same story asking for money.  Dumb guy.

The guy ran back into the gas station and we watched him buy a pack of cigarettes.  With our six bucks.

Nice.

In his defense, he did go to the pump to fill his gas can after he bought himself some smokes.

Ugh.

My husband says that he'll never help anyone again.

I call his bluff.

You win some, you lose some.  But helping someone out never goes unnoticed in His eyes.



No comments:

 
Template: Blog Designs by Sheila