Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Humble

I've blogged before about my incredible addiction to all things budget and all things finances.  I wonder if my subconscious believes that staring at the spreadsheet longer will increase the balances?  We took the Dave Ramsey course over a year ago and have been working with a Dave Ramsey budget coach since January or February.  Both of those experiences have changed our lives.  Incredibly.

We no longer argue over money, we no longer stress over our check book balance, we no longer wonder where the money will come from, will it be covered, what if this happens, what if that happens, etc.  All of those worries and problems in our past are definitely in the past.  It just isn't something that we have to worry about.

The hardest part is following the mantra of "Live like no one else so that later you can "live" like no one else."  I say it in my head with the emphasis that Dave Ramsey uses on his videos.  I say it, I believe it, but man it's sure hard to live it.

I find it extremely difficult living in a world where I feel like the only one.  I mean, I know I'm not the only one, my husband is here next to me....but sometimes we feel like the only ones living so strictly on a budget.  Is it a rarity to live on a strict budget?  Are we a rare species?  We have friends that call us wanting to go to dinner.  We honestly tell them that it's not in the budget.  We get looks as if we have two heads.  Budget?  Huh?  "Just put it in the budget!"  No joke, we have had that reply before.  It doesn't just work that way.

This morning, I found myself searching the internet to find a blog that I could relate to.  Someone that made me feel like I wasn't the only one "living like no one else."  This lifestyle, is humbling.  Especially when you are living in a place where people live as if money comes to them like water.  I just don't get it.  What did we do wrong?!

I stumbled upon this blog entry, it was posted back in 2010, but she hits it right on the head.  I just wish I could find more like it.  It's almost like wanting to find comfort from those that have lived it and made it through.

We are doing okay, we are following the baby steps, but it feels like such a slow progress.  What more can we do to make this move faster?  Is there a light at the end of the humbling tunnel?

Is there anyone else out that there that is following Dave Ramsey's baby steps?  Have you survived and conquered baby step 2?  Are there any tips/tricks to moving faster through the debt snowball?






No comments:

 
Template: Blog Designs by Sheila