Saturday, November 19, 2011

How do you know if it's too much?

I have these goals floating through my mind.  Goals for my daughter.  I want her to have endless options.  I want her to have endless opportunities.  I want her to try everything and choose her passion.  I want to give her everything and tell her that the sky is the limit.  Living near Chicago means that we have limitless opportunities to offer her. 

But I have to also remind myself that she's only two.

That being said, she is enrolled in a gymnastics academy for a parent/tot program on Saturdays and starting in January, her class at a local ballet company begins (without mommy--gasp!). 

The day care that she is enrolled at offers Spanish lessons and music class.

I have looked in to horseback riding, violin lessons and ice skating too.  They don't start till age 4.

I know, I know.  I'm going over-kill.  And these are just the enrichments that I have in mind for her.  Her dad has a whole other list:  racing (go-karts) and hunting.  Oy vey.

This girl is going to be busy.

But you know, my philosophy is that if we keep her busy with good things, that she'll be too busy to partake in the bad things.  It may turn around to bite me in the butt later.

I keep telling myself that all of the greats (gymnasts, dancers, musicians) say that they began practicing at the age of 2 or 3.  If I want her to have that opportunity to become a great, I have to expose her now.

And no, I will never be a pageant mom.  Ever.  I don't really see the good in that.  How is that enriching her talents?  If she ever expresses that she isn't happy or isn't enjoying a lesson or class, I will pull her out immediately.  But so far, she is loving the gymnastics!


The blur that you see run by at about 12 seconds in, is Kinley Grace.  Haha  Not a very quality video but we forgot our good camera and daddy only had use of his iPhone.

If she so chooses to pageant later, and use her talents in her presentation, then that is her choice.  I won't push that far.

Am I crazy? 



No comments:

 
Template: Blog Designs by Sheila