Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Yogurt has the shelf life of......?

Kinley is such a yogurt fan.  She loves all flavors, any brand.  We started her on the Yo-baby stuff and she always gobbled it up.  Now, she eats the Yoplait Kids stuff.  But I was given a free Gerber yogurt four pack (thank you, Gina) the other day and decided to give it a try. 

Now I'll be honest, it's always given me the creeps.  Seeing it there on the shelf next to the other baby foods.  Why wasn't it refrigerated?  Thinking of eating yogurt straight off the shelf gave me the weebie-jeebies.  But I thought, what the heck, I'm out of her regular stuff so I'll try it.

She liked it!

But, I was still creeped out.  So I did what I do about everything, and wrote to Gerber to ask them just why it is that their yogurt isn't refrigerated but all others are.  And here is what they said:

Joy,

Thank you for your e-mail concerning Gerber® Yogurt and Fruit Blends.

The Yogurt Blends are specially prepared and packaged to require no refrigeration until opening as they are pasteurized after culturing and do not contain live and active cultures.

So there you have it.  I'm not familiar with the whole pasteurizing process so that answer is Greek to me, but whatever.  I do think that the Gerber yogurt gave Kinley indigestion or something though, cause she had such terrible gas after eating it....and even urped (is that a word) some of it up.  Kinda gross.  I am so not used to her spitting up anymore.

I bought our regular yogurt at the store last night.  I feel safer giving her that.  Not that anything is wrong with the Gerber.  Just my crazy, psycho mommy ways.  I warped my own sense of mommy-hood.  I became this breastfeeding, baby food making nut job and now over-think every.single.thing that is Kinley.  If you had told me that I'd be "that" mom back a few years ago, I would have laughed at you. 

I'm pretty excited about Thanksgiving.  I think I'm getting myself worked up.  I made Kinley's shirt yesterday (got her some cute Ugg looking boots to go with the outfit) and went grocery shopping for ingredients for my sides last night.  I've decided to make the butternut squash (thank you, Angie) and a cranberry orange sauce and then the toffee candy (thank you, Trish).  I love cooking for the family....just wish I had a bigger home to host.  Not that anyone would come up here to join us.  I think that our families feel that Chicago is a world away....it's only a few hours.

Kinley is 11 1/2 months old and still has no teeth.  Not that I'm complaining.  My boobs thank her.  But I/we are pretty sure that there are two coming.  On her bottom front, the gum is really bumpy.  Really, really.  And how I would love to take a picture to see what ya'll think as well....she won't let me even touch her gums right now, let alone take a picture.  Poor baby.  What can you do besides orajel? 

I'm rambling.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

also for me, there is no reason to feed the gerber yogurt (except for easy to travel with) because I give my kids (and myself) the yogurt for the active and live cultures in it. thats what is 'good' in yogurt.

when jonathan was younger he had awful yeast, and hated anything cold so I went to the store to get these, and I was so disappointed to find out that they didnt have live and active cultures in it, I dont know why i thought it would without having to be kept in the fridge. hehe.

eek, sorry i ramble a lot.

btw kinley is so freakin cute!

Marie said...

When Amaya was teething, I would take wet washcloths and freeze them. She really liked chewing on those.

The Thanksgiving shirt is so cute! =)

Unknown said...

I've given into the Gerber yogurts, but I had the same initial reaction as you! They can't be as "good" as the "regular" yogurt ;) I still give them to Ellie when we're on the go, but I don't think you're crazy for caring about giving your daughter the best!

 
Template: Blog Designs by Sheila