Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Thinga-ma what?

Maybe I'm over-thinking this, as it wouldn't be the first time I've done such a thing--I consider myself rather good at over-thinking or over-analyzing things--but is anyone else totally not a fan of the Cat in the Hat cartoon on PBS?  It just straight up freaks me out.  For two reasons....

1.  He invites the kids on these crazy adventures and then says, "your mother won't mind at all if you do...."

So, let's just say that some stranger danger comes up to a young child in a mall or playground or store....then offers that child a crazy adventure.  Then he/she (stranger danger) says to your child, "Your mother won't mind at all if you do!"  Ummmm, creepy. Yeah.  Cause the child would totally relate it to the Cat in the Hat and think that if they go, they'll get to do some crazy fun thing....

2.  Thing 1 and Thing 2

Does anyone else see them as modern day slaves?  From what I've seen of them on the episodes that I've had the displeasure of hearing in the background of our home...it seems that The Cat uses them as his slaves--to do his dirty work.  Of course, children don't understand slaves or servants but aren't they seeing these different characters being forced to ride in the back of the Cat-mobile (I actually think it's call a thing-a-majig) and then called to duty when The Cat summons them?

I'm sure there are more things that I could ramble about that make me totally despise this cartoon but those two things stand out in my mind.  It just straight creeps me out.  I find that it's on so often on the PBS line-up and I'd so like to write to them and tell them to take it off...but they wouldn't listen to me.  I can just do what I can in our home, and that is to be sure that my Kinley-bug doesn't watch it. 

It's sad, because the book is so cute.  And I'm a big fan of Dr. Seuss, in general.  But the cartoon, two thumbs down from this mommy.

2 comments:

Bethany said...

Dont feel bad I wont let Carder watch it either because of the stranger danger thing!

Britney said...

Number one: Creeps me out a bit also, EEEEK!

 
Template: Blog Designs by Sheila