Friday, January 14, 2011

Find the change to make the change

I know you're tired of hearing about it....I'm tired of looking at it.  I'm tired of crying over it.  I'm tired of being angry about it.  It's just a bad dream that goes over and over and over.

I need to get over it.  I'm calling a stylist, one that I should have gone to in the first place, and getting it fixed.  Or to the best of her ability.  I, at least, want the color fixed.  This black color with my pale skin is way too emo for me.  And this stub of a ponytail is just not working for me.  I have to get the cut fixed.

Okay, I'm done.  I won't bring it up again.  I'll try not to.  :)

Plant this in my yard, please.
This morning I've been thinking a lot about the Dave Ramsey program.  That first baby-step is the $1,000 emergency fund.  You're supposed to build that $1,000 as quickly as you can...but then there were no recommendations about *how* to save it or where to find it.  Well, not "find" it...I mean, I doubt I'm going to find $1,000 in loose change around my house or in my car.  But is there a plan or a step-by-step guide to building that emergency fund?  I know that there are some of you that have done (are doing) the Ramsey plan...and maybe he does explain it further into the course....and maybe we just haven't gotten that far yet. 

But I wonder about what sacrifices we're going to be facing if committing to this plan.  Have you made any extraordinary sacrifices in the name of saving?  I know that our big splurges are the cell phone plans and our cable.  Both are way too high....we pay $140 a month on our phones (for both phones) and we pay $130 for our cable/internet/phone deal.  How did I become so dependent on a cell phone and the convenience of having all of those channels (that I don't watch) and the DVR.  Well, the DVR is not negotiable.  That has to stay...but I think I may discuss reducing our channel package.  We truly only watch the local channels anyway.  Reality TV, baby!  And for the phones, we're considering dropping my husband's line because he has a work phone that his company pays for.  So really, he can use that and I can drop my minutes to the minimum.  I rarely "talk" on my phone anyway.  I text.  I don't like to talk.

Last night my advisor emailed me saying that my class load just increased by two classes.  I'm not sure I mentioned it before, but because of my *long* hiatus (that word makes me laugh) from school, some of my classes have "expired" and have to be retaken.  Well, the one class that I was going to take in addition to my Lab this semester was the final course needed for my Middle School Endorsement.  Turns out, that final course has a pre-req and that pre-req was met.....five years ago.  That class that was the pre-req, is expired.  Ugh.  So now I have to choose between not getting the endorsement or adding two extra classes to my workload.

I'm leaning toward not getting the endorsement.  I have no desire to teach middle school, I was just getting it to be more marketable in the job search.

If it's not one thing, it's another.

Oh yeah, don't forget to sign up to win the $75 gift certificate to Picture People!  I'll choose a winner tomorrow!


1 comment:

Krista said...

You should check out Dave Ramseys Book. I think its called Total Money Makeover. But it explains it all! I checked it out from my local library! About a year ago we were about $18,000 dollars in debt, including my husbands car. And March 1st we will be completely debt free! And its not like we make a lot of money either. In fact, we make just a little over what our debt was! And somehow we managed to do it! I don't feel like I have had to make too many sacrifices. It was hard but once we got into it, it was very easy! When I think about it, I would much rather have one year of my life where I put every extra cent that I had towards my debt then to live in debt for the rest of my life. One year may seem like a long time right now but when you are 70 years old it will seem like nothing.

 
Template: Blog Designs by Sheila